"Monte Carlo with Excel for Crash Analysis", 2 hours with Wade Bartlett
DATE: Friday, 15 December 2023
TIME: 12 noon - 2 pm EDT (GMT-4)
COST: Free for NAPARS member; $5 for non-members
LOCATION: Worldwide Via Zoom
ACTAR: This event has been approved by ACTAR for 2 CEUs (signing in with i-Attend during the show will be required, so get the new version on your phone in advance)
Registered attendees will be able to request an attendance certificate.
SUMMARY: A review of the technique's background in crash analysis, and a practical step-by-step demonstration of how it's done, including conditional sampling to accommodate data known through EDR or other means.
The foundations of this discussion will primarily be these four sources:
1. "Conducting Monte Carlo Analysis with Spreadsheet Programs", SAE Paper 2003-01-0487
2. "Monte Carlo Analysis for Accident Reconstruction", Accident Investigation Quarterly, Issue #49, Winter 2008, pg 19-23
3. "Monte Carlo Analysis of Motorcycle/Automobile Crash", ARJ 18(6), Nov/Dec 2008
4. November NAPARS Zoom show on Probability and Statistics (The video and ppt handout for which are in the Reference Library)
· What kind of problems can we attack with this tool?
· Why is Monte Carlo different from other ranging techniques?
· How does conditional sampling work?
· Combining Monte Carlo results with other data: EDR, Video, Scene
· Evaluating interactions between variables.